
I'm asked alot about what kind of cloth diapers I use so I thought I'd share an email I just sent to a blog buddy who asked some cloth diapering questions.
There's tons of different types of diapers out but I use fitted diapers. They usually come with an insert that snaps into the diaper. They come in one sized or sized (s,m,l) I've tried them all (pockets, prefolds, fitted, all in ones, ect) and fitted are my favorite. The only thing is this will require a cover. I personally like interlock wool covers.
This is a one sized (OS) fitted.



My favorite fitted diapers are Mutts. Another favorite is Goodmama's These are both IMPOSSIBLE to get your hands on. You can try www.Hyenacart.com for lots of different mama's who make diapers. Ask me before you buy because chances are I've tried them and can give you an idea if its a good diaper or not.
Wool interlock looks like this

The only thing about this is it can't go in the washing machine. There are plenty of other types of covers. If you want a cover made out of PUL (waterproof) I'll suggest MUDSHRIMPS but PUL isn't as breathable as interlock wool. No worries, wool isn't hot like it sounds at all. It's VERY breathable.
I wash my own diapers (just not my wool) in the washing machine with an approved detergent. http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html
I use a wetbag that zips up to store my dirty diapers in until I'm ready to wash. I usually wash every other day and it's usually only one load. Something like this.
I just sprinkle a little baking powder in the bag to keep the stink out. I've never had a stink issue. Unless you open the bag up and when you close it the smell is gone. I've not had to use diaper creams because cloth is so much gentler on their hineys but if you do need it you can just add a flushable liner to the diaper. Or you can buy some thin fleece and make little liners to go in the diapers so the cream doesn't stain your diaper.
Here's my diaper set up.

I also use cloth wipes. I just store them in the sposie wipe container and add water and a little baby soap to them and toss them in your wetbag when you're done & wash them with your diapers.
If you have a big poop just shake it off in the potty (gross I know but it's not that bad) and toss the rest in the wash. Do a wash and double rinse cycle.
If you decide to go with interlock wool let me know and I'll give you directions on how to take care of it. It's not difficult at all. Let me know if you have any other questions.

10 comments:
I love cloth diapering. I LOVE mudshrimps. That is what i use most. I however prefer the prefolds folded in thirds in the covers. I get a lot of wicking when I use fitteds, not sure why but I do.
We don't need diapers anymore--thank goodness--but I have to say you are very organized. I may just have/adopt another baby so I can use this idea! (HaHa)
You are officially the cloth diaper guru in my book -lol!
Ok...you rock girl!! Not only is it such a great thing you're using these...but you are so STINKIN' organized!!! I'm sad to say...I don't think I could have EVER used cloth diapers...although those are very cool!!! It's such a great idea though!!! Very informative post!!! Have a GREAT week!
Love ya,
Buffi
i've never given a thought to cloth diapers until i read your post. who knew they were cute! unfortunately, i'm not always motivated by what's green, but i am motivated by what's fashionable. i will look into this more. thanks for the info!
i would love some more info on cloth diapering...grimesfam@gmail.com is my address. i found you through the wild network of Ethiopian adoptive families! We are waiting for a referral since March using Bethany Christian Services.
Cool. YOu are so organized. it looks great !
Okay...if I use a diaper service (I think they are prefolds...but as we haven't started them yet...as our adoption isn't done yet)...well, what type of cover do you think would work?
Love your little diaper caddy, so clever and NEAT! (want to come over and help me organize a nursery for our Ethiopian baby(s)?
Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted
and just don't want to do any MORE laundry!
lol
Did you make your wet bag? Or is it something you buy...? I was just talking with my kids on how cloth diapers will work 'out of the house' and how we will need a system so they don't get thrown away (like disposables)...especially if you are using a diaper service.
Is your bag lined, or is it straight cloth...how big is it, hard to tell in the picture.
Thanks, I am so excited. Last week I found the last diaper service in CT - they said they will come to our town...YEAH!!
Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted
I am planning on using cloth so thanks for the info!!!
Post a Comment