
Now that we have a court date I thought it would be okay to start thinking about travel. So I have some questions....
1. Did you use a travel agent? If so, who? Would you recommend them?
2. If you DIDN'T use a travel agent how did you go about booking your own travel? Was it worth whatever money you saved to do it yourself?
3. What airlines did you fly? Where did you layover?
4. Where did you stay in Ethiopia? Do you recommend it?
5. What is the one thing you didn't bring that you wish you had?
6. What did you bring that was a big ole waste of space in your luggage?
I know, lots of questions but I will be traveling alone and I want to be prepared.
I also want to say THANK YOU to Sam for the cutest Raggedy Anne doll that she made for me. "M" is going to love it! *EDIT* pics added. Isn't she cute?!

14 comments:
Court is coming so soon for you! How exciting! I can't wait to hear the update! I found a saying for our babies room and it came! Its really cute! I am glad I saw yours. I'll have to post a picture of it on our blog!
Aw thanks for the shout out. Raggedy looks drunk....
1. Susan Parr Travel- they were AMAZING!
2. N/A
3. Flew Delta with to DC and Ethiopian Airline from DC to Rome to Addis. Rome stop was to refuel only.
4. Ethiopia Guesthouse - AMAZING...I would recommend it HIGHLY!! They are specifically set up for adoptive families.
5. I packed too much!
6. Baby food - Ben wouldn't touch it!
Love the doll!!! I just bought my first pack of diapers tonight....and some puffs :). Figured I might as well start a stash so it would not be so expensive all at once.
That doll is precious! You have some great blogger friends. :)
Love the doll. M is going to love it! XoXo
LODGING: We are staying at the Ethiopia Guest Home. A guy from our church started it. He and his wife adopted 2 kids from Ethiopia
and they do missions work there. Proceeds help others adopt. The place looks awesome. You can go to their website at: http://www.ethiopiaguesthome.com/
They have photos and pricing on the website. It was built in 2008 and is comparable or cheaper than other guest homes.
AIRLINE: We will do our best not to fly Ethiopian Air if possible. They are cheaper but it is an older plane with less room and with it being such a long flight, I will try to avoind it if possible thanks to advice from friends of ours that have already traveled.
TRAVEL AGENT: I have heard good things about Susan Parr Travel. Another option that I have heard good things about is: Brady at Golden Rule Travel.
Here is his info:
Brady Sult
Golden Rule Travel
6411 W. Morgan ave Hutchinson,Ks 67501
888-950-3273 toll free
620-665-5058 phone
620-665-5425 fax
brady@goldrule.net
www.goldenruletravel.com
I hope that helps.
Amber
1. We used Susan Parr Travel. I would recommend them, as well as, buying travel insurance. They were a HUGE help in our extreme dilemmas!!!
2. We were to fly Ethiopian, but cuz of the cancellation it was Lufthansa on the way there. We flew Ethiopian back. Both of our flights were great. I wouldn't say anything bad about either. BUT, if you fly Lufthansa, it goes thru Germany, so you'd have to get the transit visa for the way back with Baby "M". We opted to not do that, which put us on Ethiopian then for the way back.
4. We stayed at the Hilton and LOVED it! If we didn't have to go anywhere, we really didn't need to leave! The Hilton has everything! I loved it for the internet though. I was able to converse with my boys back home!
5. I can't think of anything I wish we would have taken. Except 2 outfits instead of just 1 in our carry-on! :)
6. Addison fell in love with her music toy, but I did have a couple other toys packed. I probably could have left those at home.
Hope this helps!! And that doll is absolutely adorable!!
Raggedy Anne is cute! M is going to be dragging her all over the house. Isn't it so fun to imagine M holding her?
So, we obviously haven't traveled yet...but I vote Susan Parr all the way. I tried to book the flights myself, but it was frustrating (mabye because this is a busy time of year to travel?) and every time I clicked on a flight that was open, it would be booked. Argh. I finally threw my hands in the air and called Susan. They were excellent and very reasonable and made flights magically appear. Honestly. I don't think we paid more than we would have had I booked them myself (I checked online!).
Hoping you travel VERY SOON!
You're almost there!
We stayed at Mr. Martin's and loved it. They became dear dear friends. Their driver was like a father and I went by myself many times and felt just fine. He stays by your side the whole time. I think they charged something like 250.00 for 10 days. And the rooms were (I want to say) about 175.00. Great place.
Don't be afraid of Africa. I was and once I got there all my fears were gone. It is a wonderful, beautiful place and you will do great!
#1 think I was happy I brought: entire outfits packed in individual ziplocks. I also dressed them in one piece footed sleepers. They worked wonderfully and I didn't have to worry about socks, etc. Once they dirty an outfit, just put it in the bag you took the new clothes out of. WOrked wonderfully.
Susan Par told us that there were NO flights open for when we needed to travel. I am sure she would have been good if it were not for that. We found a flight direct from the airline's sight for the least amount of money. We flew KLM and were very happy with them. Layover in Amsterdam (great airport with baby rooms).
Good luck!
Thanks for your encouragement on our blog. Our new court date is 1/29. Perhaps we'll see you on the plane?
You've won an award. Stop by to check it out.
You have won an award from Yo Sista as well. :) Look at you award woman! Love you!
Merry Christmas to you and your family <3
Post a Comment